Monday, January 21, 2008

Looking at C# wearing Java Glass?

I always loved Microsoft products whether it is there operating system or any software development tool. The computer that I first used had windows 95 and from that Windows has always been my favorite operating system. So I have spent lot of time developing small projects only on windows (and till now!). By the time we studied Visual Basic and Java in our high school, I always loved VB, cursing Java for not having any IDE (atleast my teacher didn't introduce any Java IDE to us. But it is there at that time!). Most of the time we have to memorize the syntax of Java, where we do VB just like that. Java lab is always a big problem!! I hated Java to the core!!

But my career made me work on Java and I came to know lot of professional IDEs (eclipse) available for Java which are far better than Visual Basic IDEs. I still love Eclipse IDE more than Microsoft Visual C# express edition 2008 (never had a look at professional version though). As a fan of Microsoft, I thought to take a look at C# from the perspective of Java.

Sure C# had lots and lot of language structs and keyword to code on. But how frequently are they used? I really don't understand the reason for having a struct as well as class. But C# have the concept of Managed Pointers and also allows free pointer manipulating is allowed which is something cool! But I really don't want or expect Java to have those features. I am fine with what Java already has. But still I am learning C# is going to be fun!!!!

Happy coding!

No comments: