Friday, December 28, 2007

Java IDE wars !

When I first started Java programming in school days, I never loved Java as I love it today. That's mainly because of the lack of IDE (actually I didn't aware of one). In good old days, when we started learning Java, we used notepad to write java code. At the same time we learnt VB, which comes with a cool IDE. I never knew that such thing exist for java as well...

But my ignorance didn't last for a long time.. I came to know about Eclipse and later exposed to couple of other IDE. Still I love and use eclipse in my day to day work. I tried using Netbeans, but I didn't like it.. Some basic features like a. Progressive search (available in 6.0), b. Call Hierarchy etc. are not available in NetBeans (to name a few). There are other IDEs which I haven't used yet.. Some IDEs comes for free and other for cost.

This podcast compares the various IDEs and the feature of IDEs in 2008.. But still Eclipse rocks and I will continue to use Eclipse .....

http://www.javaworld.com/podcasts/jtech/2007/121807jtech007.html

No comments: